Friday 14 December 2012

Spiked Lemon Curd Ice Cream Sundae




People are always giving me lemons at this time of year, its kind of lucky really, since every attempt at growing our own lemon tree has ended up with a dead tree. Im surprised my children are happy and healthy, I mean, don't they say that you shouldn't get a pet until you can look after a plant? And you shouldn't have children until you can look after a pet?

Anyway, my husband has this theory that if you wee on the lemon tree it will make the lemons grow. He is full of theories that man, did you know, BP petrol makes your car go faster but Shell petrol gets you more mileage *rolls eyes*. 
Well it seems my dear husband has passed on this tradition to our 3 1/2 year old son. Every time we visit my Mum's house, he insists on doing a wee on the lemon tree.
Can you imagine his delight when the last time we went to visit and my Mum handed us a big bag of lemons. Bless his soul, the boy looked super proud of himself. The entire trip home he explained to me how he grew the lemons.

So I guess that is the story of how I ended up with a bazillion lemons. You know what they say, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Well I made lemon curd instead. And then I mixed my lemon curd with some Greek yogurt and cream, spiked it with half a bottle (ok not that much) of lemoncello and put it in the freezer.
The result, to die for lemon curd ice cream.
But I mean why stop there. So I scooped it into a glass, topped with crumbled meringue and topped with more lemon curd. AH MAZE ING

I originally intended to serve this with a raspberry coulis but I couldnt resist more lemon curd. It really is the best.

Anyway, for this recipe, you can use store bought meringues which is what I did.You can also use store bought lemon curd or you can find the recipe I use HERE.

Spiked Lemon Curd Ice Cream Sundae

Ingredients

Ice cream
250mls thickened cream
250 grams full fat plain Greek Yogurt
Lemon Curd from recipe or 2 jars of store bought
60mls Lemoncello (optional) - or more if you like, I know I do
1 lemon
1 packet meringue nests

Directions
1. Lightly whip the cream until soft peaks form. Fold in yogurt and lemon curd (1 jar or half the quanitity of lemon curd recipe) until combined.
2. Slowly pour lemoncello whilst slowly stiring until combined.
3. Pour into a freezer safe container and freeze overnight.
* If you have an ice cream churning, then churn for 10 mins. 

Assemble
Place ice cream in fridge for 10 mins to soften
Layer scoop of ice cream, crumbled meringue and a dollop of lemon curd.
Add more lemoncello if desired

ENJOY!



 

0 comments:

Post a Comment