Sunday 25 November 2012

Chinese Crispy Skin Pork Belly




Maybe I was a little brave trying to cook belly. I mean, my MIL is known for her pork belly.
Until I met my husband, I had never actually tried it, but when I did, boy was I in love.
I've tried making the traditional Filipino version which involves boiling it first, drying out for several hours and then deep frying it, but it was pretty much too much effort for me.
So you can imagine my delight when I came across this version.
I mean sure, you have to prepare it the night before (although you can skip this step and still have great results) but basically, if you can operate an oven, then you can enjoy this simple, tasty succulent pork belly with the most amazing crispy, crackling skin ever.
Best of all, its super super easy.
Enjoy!

Chinese Crispy Skin Pork Belly

Ingredients

For the Pork
1.5kg boneless pork belly (with skin)
2 Tbs sea salt
2 Tbs ground white pepper
2 Tbs Chinese 5-Spice mix
1 Tbs Raw Sugar (Castor Sugar if not using Thermomix)
Dipping Sauce
1 Tbs minced ginger
1 Tbs minced garlic
1 small red chilli (finely chopped)
100mls soy sauce
100 mls vinegar

1. Pierce the skin of the pork with a fork or knife until covered in small holes

2. Place a roasting rack inside a baking dish and lay the pork rind side up on the rack. 
3. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Using a ladle, pour hot water over the skin of the pork several times. Empty the water from the baking dish and place pork back on the rack.

4. Place raw sugar and salt into the thermomix and process on speed 9 for 30 seconds. Add ground white pepper and 5-spice and process for 3 mins, speed 1 Varoma temp.
*If not using a thermomix, place castor sugar, salt, white pepper and 5 spice in a hot wok and cook for 2 mins.



5. Once mixture has cooled, rub 1 Tbs of spice mix into the skin of the pork and rub the remaining mix onto the meat side of the belly. Place a tea towel or cloth over the pork and place in refrigerator over night

6. Preheat oven to 200C. Remove pork from refrigerator and fill the 1/3rd of baking dish with water. *Pork should be rind side up on the wire rack inside the baking dish

7. Roast for 20mins at 200C, then lower temp to 180C and roast for 2 hours. After 2 hours, turn heat back up to 200C and cook for a further 15mins

9. Remove from oven and rest pork for 15mins.

Dipping sauce

10. Place soy sauce, vinegar, chilli, garlic and ginger in a small bowl and stir. Adjust amounts to suit your tastes

*Serve with white rice

1 comments:

  1. Thanks that I found this delicious blog, and from now on I'm looking for pork skins distributor. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete